- Do supermarket drain cleaning chemicals really work?
- 7 reasons your toilet keeps getting blocked (and how to prevent it)
There are plenty of ways to prevent blocked drains, such as being careful about what you put down them. But there is another common cause of blocked drains that many people aren't aware of. It’s tree roots, and they can cause major damage to your plumbing system. Because sewer pipes are buried underground, home owners are often unaware that tree roots are causing damage until it’s too late.
Why do tree roots cause blocked drains?
Tree roots are attracted to sewer and stormwater pipes because they are full of water, oxygen and nutrients. Once tree roots find the pipes they are powerful enough to penetrate them, particularly older ceramic pipes with loose joints or cracks.
Tree roots that make their way inside pipes continue to grow until they block the entire pipe. These roots act as a net catching food scraps, toilet paper, oil and hair and anything else that gets washed or flushed down your household drains. A severe blockage will eventually occur if no action is taken to remove the roots.
How to remove tree roots from your sewer lines
It’s important to seek out the services of a licensed plumber (1800 225 552) when it comes to removing tree roots from your sewer lines. The plumbers at JAB Plumbing Solutions are equipped to do this with minimal disruption to your property. Heres how:
- Pipe location technology: Our pipe locators allow us to find pipes quickly and accurately so that minimal digging is required.
- CCTV camera inspection: A small camera will be put down your sewer line to determine the cause and location of the blockage.
- High pressure jet blaster: Roots can be removed using high pressure water jets.
- Replacement of damaged pipe: The best way to get rid of tree roots in your sewer line for good is to repair or replace the pipe. Our plumbers can repair the damaged section or replace the whole line depending on your needs.
Ways to minimise tree roots from blocking your drains
- Be aware of where you sewer and stormwater lines are and make sure you plant trees approximately three metres away from pipes.
- Any new or replacement pipes should be made from PVC plastic. Plastic pipes are much sturdier than the older ceramic pipes and aren’t prone to cracks and loose joints.
Got an emergency? Give us a call on 1800 225 552
JAB Plumbing Solutions can respond to your blocked drain, blocked toilet or blocked sewer line emergency 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our Five Dock plumber can travel to all parts of the Inner West, North Shore, CBD, Eastern Suburbs and Western Suburbs. We have the equipment to locate and fix any blocked drain fast so you and your family can get back to enjoying your home.