You’ve noticed that the kitchen sink is taking a little longer to drain than usual, and there is a strange smell coming from the drain’s opening. These are both symptoms of a blocked drain. There are plenty of ways to fix a blocked drain in the kitchen including the use of harsh chemicals, a plunger or calling a licensed plumber. But did you know that the best remedy for a blocked drain is prevention?
HOW TO PREVENT A BLOCKED SINK
Here are seven simple ways you can keep your kitchen sink unclogged and free from unpleasant odours.
1. Catch food waste: Use a drain-grate or tea sieve to cover the drain opening. This will catch any larger scraps, preventing them from entering the pipes and clogging up the drain.
2. Don’t put coffee grounds down the sink: Coffee grounds are a major cause of blocked drains because they don’t flow well with water. Grounds tend to form a thick sludge which can build up over time causing a blocked drain. Coffee grounds make excellent fertilisers so spread them around the garden or compost them.
3. Don’t put tea leaves down the sink: If you prefer tea to coffee, the same rules still apply when it comes to blocked drains. Tea leaves tend to swell and expand in water and can build up over time in the S bend leading to a blockage. Like coffee, tea is a great fertiliser for the garden.
4. Foods that swell: Tea isn’t the only item that expands in water. Things like rice, couscous, flour, pastry and pasta can also cause problems and these scraps should be put in the bin.
5. Miscellaneous: Other household items such straws, fruit label stickers and tooth picks may accidentally end up in your plumbing pipes when rinsing plates or pieces of fruit. While a single item won’t necessarily lead to a blocked sink, a gradual build up over time may result in a blockage.
6. Dispose of grease properly: Oil, fats and grease are one of the biggest causes of blocked drains. When they cool, they can solidify and stick to the pipes. Over time the hole in the pipes gets thinner and thinner, eventually leading to a blockage. The best way to prevent this from happening is by pouring large amounts of oil into a plastic bottle and then disposing of it in the garbage. Even small amounts of grease on plates can cause problems so make sure you use plenty of hot soapy water when rinsing dishes.
7. Utilise hot water: Regularly running hot water or pouring boiling water down the drain is a great way to prevent any built up grease or food scraps from forming a blockage.
Blocked drain plumber Sydney
The above methods are simple and easy ways to avoid problems with your drains and pipes. However, if you already have a blocked drain, JAB Plumbing Solutions are located in Five Dock and our qualified team of plumbers service the entire Sydney Metropolitan region. We have the expertise and equipment to fix blockages of all types and are available for emergency blockages 24/7. For an obligation free quote call us on 1800 22 555 22.